Today we will review the benefits of and how to create your very own salad green containers.
Not only are they quick and easy to assemble, they make a great prep as a food production system and provide a steady supply of fresh greens at a fraction of the cost of those store bought salad blends.
Outline of topics covered-
– Control (inputs)
- Window Box w/ watering tray
- Good Quality Growing Medium
- Seeds (loose leaf salad blends)
– Growing Environment
- Light- critical
– Water- non chlorinated (or let it sit out for a day or two)
- Drill drain holes
- Fill container (within 1-2 inches from top)
- Water soil
- Sprinkle seeds (like grass seed)
- Tamp seeds with hand to ensure good contact (carefully)
- Wet with spray bottle a couple of days, until seeds germinate
- Keep top damp
- Spray bottle- avoid watering w/ can (washes seeds into a corner)
- Water from bottom once germination starts
- Keep close to good light (for 16hrs a day)- use timer, if possible
- Water weekly from bottom
- Provide natural sunlight whenever possible
After 4 inches tall
- Harvest in sections (usually 1/3 to ½ of container at a time).
- Cut flush to top of container (leaving at least 1-1 ½ inches of growth for regrowth (careful not to pull out of soil)
- Overseed if too thin
- Rinse, dry and enjoy
- Being new containers every few 2-3 weeks, to ensure a continuous supply
Please be sure to SUBSCRIBE to receive spam free updates when new episodes are posted. I have a long list of new topics I’ll be recording and publishing in the days and weeks to come.
If you have a comment or suggestion about how we can make this podcast better, or to provide suggestions for future episodes, please send me a PFT-Comment.